Board of Directors
  • How can I get involved in the Carlyn Place community?

    The best place to start is at a monthly board meeting. You’ll have a chance to meet the Board, the management representative and some neighbors. Plus you’ll have the chance to volunteer for standing and ad-hoc committees.

  • How do I bring an issue to the board's attention?
    At every meeting of the Board of Directors, approximately thirty minutes is designated for resident comments and questions.
    If you have a concern, want to report a violation, or have another issue related to the operation of the building, please use the Contact Us page to contact our management company. This information is then passed on to the Board.
  • When are the board meetings?

    Updated:  2/17/2017

    The Carlyn Place Board of Directors generally meets every third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room (two flights above the 8th floor of the Tower Building). Announcements of meeting changes are made via email and by postings on the bulletin boards. The Annual Meeting of the Association is held every June.  

  • Who can attend a board meeting?

    All owners and residents are welcome to attend. 

  • Who do I contact for maintenance issues?
    The Association provides certain cleaning and maintenance services for the common elements and units as outlined in the Resident Manual. Unit owners are responsible for the plumbing and electrical systems located within the unit and those portions on the exterior serving only that unit. See the Maintenance Responsibility Chart in the Resident Manual.
    Carlyn Place has a building engineer who helps maintain the common areas. You may contact him for small unit repairs through the Contact Us page. He will schedule you as he has time. His rate is $50/hour billed in 15-minute increments. Please be prepared to pay him when he does the work with a check made payable to Carlyn Place.
  • Who do I contact if I have a concern or complaint?
    All concerns or complaints (such as a noise violation) should be directed to GHA, our management company. See Contact Us. If you would like the board or management company to take action, your complaint must be submitted in writing via email or letter to GHA Community Management.

For New Owners and Residents
  • Do I need to schedule my move in with anyone?
     Yes. All moves in and out of the building, as well as all deliveries, must be scheduled in advance with the building engineer. (See Contact Us). Moving hours are restricted to Monday through Friday between the times of 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. There are no moves allowed on weekends or legal holidays. See the Resident Manual for complete details. 

  • How do I set up my phone to open the front door?
     Contact the building engineer at 703-525-5455 or go to the Contact Us section. He will program your phone number into the entry system. When a guest calls from the front door, hit 9 on your phone to open the door.
  • I am moving. Can I place a moving "pod" in the lot?
    No. Moving "pods" are not allowed on the parking lot.
  • I am new to Carlyn Place. What information do I need as a new owner/resident?
    First, welcome! We're glad to have you as a neighbor. All new owners/residents are asked to:
     1.     Contact John Lyons, Senior Portfolio Manager at GHA (jlyons@ghacm.com 703-752-8300) to let him know that you are a new resident.

    2.     Complete a Community Registration Form.

    3.     Complete a Vehicle Registration Form.

    4.     Familiarize yourself with the community rules especially regarding noise, move-in and move-out policies found in the Resident Manual.

  • Is there a community email list?
     Yes, the board of directors sends out periodic updates with items of importance to owners and residents. If you would like to be added to the email list, please register on the website.
  • What should I do if I want to rent my unit?
    Provide the following documents to GHA Community Management:
    --Your new address and phone number for future contacts.

    --A copy of the rental agreement within 30 days of execution. The lease term must be for a minimum of six months. (The Board recommends one-year leases at a minimum.)

    -- Proof of renters insurance for your tenant(s).

    --The completed Community Registration Form and Vehicle Registration Form for your tenant(s).

    IMPORTANT NOTE: The Carlyn Place Resident Manual states that you must use a special rental agreement available from the management company. This is an incorrect statement. Owners should just provide the materials listed above.

  • Where can I get a new key fob to the entry doors of the building?

    Contact John Lyons at GHA Community Management (jlyons@ghacm.com 703-752-8300)

  • How do I reach the building engineer?
    The office of the building engineer is located on the ground floor of the Tower Building, near the laundry room. You may contact him for small unit repairs through the Contact Us page or by calling 703-525-5455.
    He will schedule you as he has time. His rate is $50/hour. Please be prepared to pay him when he does the work with a check made payable to Carlyn Place.
  • When is the maintenance office open?
    The maintenance office is open M-F from 8:00 am until 4:00 p.m.
    It is closed on the following holidays: January 1, Martin Luther King's Birthday, President's Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
    If you have an emergency when the Carlyn Place maintenance office is closed, please call GHA Management at 703-752-8300.
  • When will the heat / air conditioning be turned on in the Tower Building?
     By county law, we must have heat available from October 15 through early May. Since the Tower building is on a "one pipe" system, we are unable to switch between air conditioning and heat. Also, it takes a day for the system to drain between switchovers.

    That means residents will be faced with a couple of days between seasons when it will either be a little too warm or too cold in your units. The management company tries to minimize the inconvenience by monitoring the long-range weather forecast and switching over earlier as appropriate.

  • Where can I purchase new window screens?
    The Association has window screens available for purchase from the building engineer. The screens cost $20 per screen. If you want the building engineer to install them, he will charge is hourly rate of $50/hr with a minimum charge of $12.50.

  • Does my unit have to be carpeted?
    Floors must be 85% carpeted with adequate padding to eliminate walking noises intruding on the unit below.

  • What are the rules regarding noise?
    Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Use of laundry facilities and dishwashers is not permitted during quiet hours. No noise may extend beyond your unit at any time. See Resident Manual for complete information. 
    Note: the laundry room in the basement of the Tower Building is open 24/7.

Parking and Parking Lots
  • Are the parking lots plowed when it snows?

    Yes, the Association has a contract with company to plow the parking lots and shovel the sidewalks. Residents are responsible for clearing off their own cars. When clearing off their own cars, please do not to shovel snow onto the sidewalks or bushes/hedges. In addition, since parking is unassigned, residents may not “save” parking spaces by leaving objects in them.

  • Does Carlyn Place have guest parking?

    No. But you can allow your guest to use one of your parking passes, if you have one that is not in use. All cars must display a parking pass between 10 pm and 6 am. Guests can also be directed to street parking on Lee Highway.

  • What are the parking rules?

    A valid parking sticker/hang tag must be displayed between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. – seven days a week. If you are towed, please contact the towing company. (Advanced Towing; 703-241-2211). The phone number is also listed on the signs at the entrances of the lot. 

  • What if my car gets towed?

    Contact Advanced Towing at 703-241-2211. (Location: 4500 5th Road, Arlington) Towing fines are established by Arlington County and Carlyn Place has no control over them. 

  • Where can I get a parking permit?
    Each unit is entitled to two parking permits/hangtags once a Vehicle Registration form is completed. If you are a new owner, you should have received them from the previous owner. Likewise, if you are a tenant, you should have received tags from the unit owner.
    Lost parking permits can be replaced for a $150 fee per permit by contacting the management company. New permits to replace mutilated permits can be obtained when the old permit is returned to the management company. See Contact Us.


  • Why don't we have assigned parking spaces?

    There are 124 units at Carlyn Place and 144 parking spots so parking is on a first-come, first served basis.


Selling Your Unit
  • Where can I get the Association's insurance certificate?
    If your mortgage company needs the Association's insurance certificate, please contact our insurance agent: Mathai Insurance Agency at 703-591-7734. Ask for Heidi.

  • Where is the bus stop location if I need to head toward East Falls Church?

    There is a bus stop for west bound bus transportation located at the corner of Lorcom Lane/Woodstock and Lee Highway. There is also a stop at the corner of N. Thomas Street and Lee Highway. The ART 55 bus uses the Lee Highway Line which goes to the East Falls Church metro station.

  • Where is the bus stop location if I need to head toward Rosslyn?
    There is a covered shelter for eastbound bus transportation located on Lee Highway--across the street from the garden buildings. This is at the corner of N. Vermont Street and Lee Highway. The 3Y bus and the ART 55 bus use  Lee Highway going to the Rosslyn metro station. The 3Y line goes directly into Washington, DC, and it runs during the morning and evening rush hours only.


Unit Alterations
  • What steps should I take if I want to renovate my unit?
    All alterations/structural updates to your unit must be submitted in writing to the Board for approval using the Variance Application. Please remember work is not to commence until your written application has been approved.